At Greyston, we create thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring, which means we provide employment opportunities to people regardless of their background or work history, while offering them the support necessary both to succeed in the workplace and to thrive in the community. With our history as a social justice pioneer, Greyston is recognized as one of the country’s leading social enterprises that provides individuals opportunities for employment. Our philosophy fuels community development and a commitment to human growth and potential. With tremendous interest in socially responsible business and the massive economic dysfunction driven by poverty, recidivism and a lack of job opportunities for people with barriers.
Greyston is poised to capitalize on these factors by launching the Greyston Employment Opportunity Center as a focal point for generating and measuring social innovative impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a Transitional Employment Manager to oversee and provide day-to-day management of the Greyston street cleaning apprentices, as well as other transitional employment program participants. Supervise, schedule, train, and coach all work crew members for individual and program success. Must be able to start immediately.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
Responsible for managing all Apprenticeship Programs
- Recruit and maintain lists of potential apprentice participants. Screen and interview apprentice applicants to ensure program suitability.
- Onboard new hires. Ensure appropriate training and job preparedness.
- Create, coordinate and maintain work schedules and assignments for members of various work crews.
- Complete clear and concise written reports as required/requested.
- Communicate with COY Contractors, DPW and BID Officials to maximize efficiency of work crews. Take action steps to address and correct any concerns.
- Interact with apprentices, co-workers and members of the community with courtesy and professionalism.
- Must be punctual and responsible to ensure turnover and safekeeping of equipment used during shifts. Take measures to secure equipment at all times.
- Problem-solve and diffuse crisis situations.
- Supervise and manage all apprentices in their daily duties to ensure completion of job duties in keeping with Greyston standards and time schedules and to work order specifications.
- Represent Greyston and its Transitional Employment Initiative with integrity and enthusiasm.
- Complete other job duties and assignments as necessary.
Provide supervision, scheduling, training, guidance, and coaching to all Apprentice Program participants.
- Coach work crew participants to maintain a high standard of excellence in customer service and professionalism while on the job.
- Provide clear instructions to apprentices along with hands-on demonstration of high standards of cleanliness.
- Ensure that all street cleaning crews are adequately supervised, well supported and properly dressed in Greyston attire and personal protective equipment at all times.
- Inform supervisor and management of accidents, injuries, safety concerns and issues immediately.
- Coach, motivate and refer crewmembers for additional support and services within Greyston as appropriate.
Provide wraparound support to Apprentice Program participants
- Work with Greyston peers to ensure wraparound support, referral services, hard and soft skills training and permanent employment services where requested.
- Provide limited case management and individual counseling as needed.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Supervisory experience with a diverse group of individuals is required.
- Experience supervising work crews at multiple locations or in a large manufacturing plant is a plus.
- Sanitation experience is a plus.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong verbal, writing and supervisory skills.
- Excellent skills assessment of potential apprentice candidates.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients and coworkers.
- Ability to problem-solve and diffuse crisis situations.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficient with computer software: MS Word and Excel.
- Must be flexible to adjust to changing business needs.
- Must be able to give clear direction, feedback and coaching in a respectful manner.
- Greyston is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.