At Greyston, we create thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring, which means we provide employment opportunities to people regardless of their background or work history, while offering them the support necessary both to succeed in the workplace and to thrive in the community. With our history as a social justice pioneer, Greyston is recognized as one of the country’s leading social enterprises that provides individuals opportunities for employment. Our philosophy fuels community development and a commitment to human growth and potential. With tremendous interest in socially responsible business and the massive economic dysfunction driven by poverty, recidivism and a lack of job opportunities for people with barriers.
Greyston is poised to capitalize on these factors by launching the Greyston Employment Opportunity Center as a focal point for generating and measuring social innovative impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Under the direction of the Vice President, Strategic Programs & Development, the Director of Workforce, Education & Training is responsible for providing leadership to the design, development, review, and articulation of training programs that support the Division of Workforce Partnerships. Initiate and build strong partnerships with other social services agencies, businesses and industries, and other entities to meet the needs of Greyston’s focus on Southwest Yonkers. Ensure that the workforce development programs remain on track to meet and exceed all targeted outcomes including job placement, retention, financial and educational milestones. Provide oversight to the day-to-day operation of program services.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
Maintain strong partnerships with internal and external partners.
- Form new partnerships and strengthen existing ones with outside providers, community organizations and educational institutions to facilitate collaborative solutions toward community self-sufficiency.
- Conceptualize, gain support for and roll out new initiatives that utilize and expand workforce development and department services.
Provide creativity and resourcefulness to identify and secure the necessary internal and external resources to ensure efficient and effective execution of all Workforce Development initiatives.
- Oversee workforce development services that are being offered to the local community.
- Provide supervisory support to Workforce Development team.
- Utilize knowledge of all aspects of workforce development and overcoming barriers to employment, ranging from employment skills training, client coaching and pre- and post-placement retention services, to labor market analysis and employer relations.
Develop and oversee research, communication and continuous improvement activities that support divisional strategic goals in collaboration with senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Assess trends in the labor market and workforce development; create linkages in the workforce community to raise Greyston’s profile.
- Oversee department budget and work with the Vice President Partnership & Programs and senior management to determine funding and resources for programming.
Develop strategies to cultivate and grow relationships with past, current and potential workforce development students and partners.
- Grow and cultivate key corporate relationships by evaluating fit and success of current and past placements and by working toward a mutually beneficial long-term partnership.
- Promote a strengths-based approach to training rather than a focus on problems, vulnerabilities, and deficits, of individuals, their families and the community.
- Perform other departmental assignments as needed.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Five plus years’ experience in vocational counseling, human and organizational development and workforce development services.
- Training and experience working with individuals who have multiple barriers to employment preferred.
- Contemplative experience preferred.
- Management and supervision experience, including coaching, mentoring and evaluating team members.
- Masters’ degree in social work (MSW), counseling or related area strongly preferred; or 10 years’ work experience in related fields and comparable capacities.
- Professional certification in human services preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License a plus.
- Experience with adult education, training, workforce development, and job-training.
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM database.
- Experience working with low-income and at-risk individuals.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Ability to balance the needs of multiple accounts.
- Quantitative and qualitative approach to organizing and analyzing data.
- Effective communication/public speaking skills and the ability to connect authentically with people from a variety of different professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Sensitivity to diverse cultures and individual life situations.
- Sound judgement and discretion in the handling of confidential matters.
- Must be responsive, empathetic and professional.
- Ability to conceptualize program structures.
- Intermediate Microsoft office skills, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Exceptional written communications skills.
- Team-orientated and proactive; comfortable in a very visible, high-volume environment.
- Personal commitment to and respect for the variety of spiritual/value traditions.
- Greyston is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.